FrontPageAfrica (Monrovia)

Liberia: China Union Glitch Grips Bong - Company's Failure to Pay One Million Draws Ire

Threats to stall China Union shipments out of Bong County by lawmakers are flying after the concession company failed for the first time since 2011 to meet up with its financial obligation.

China Union annually pays over US$1 million to authorities of Bong as concession benefit.

The chairman of the Bong Legislative caucus, George Mulbah (NPP district 3), told a community radio station reporter Wednesday that lawmakers of the county are resolved to resist the company's shipment out of the county if authorities renege not to honor their concession obligations.

Besides failing to meet up with its concession obligation, the company also faces charges of not employing natives of the Fuamah district, site of company, as hundreds of qualified citizens remain unemployed. "China Union is employing more Chinese than Liberians, and refusing to renovate damaged houses in the area," he said.

Authorities of the company however denied the charges as false, misleading and counter-productive. "Claims that we are not employing Liberians is a blatant lie. Is just that vast majority of Liberians brought to us are not qualified to take up the huge task here," said a Chinese employee at the company only identified as Yark.

The caucus stance against the company brings an end to widespread speculations in Bong claiming that lawmakers had misdirected funds given by the company.

The citizens' reservation comes in the wake of the county authorities' failure to attack the looming development projects earmarked during last year's county development sitting.

A few months ago, Bong County sponsored students at Cuttington University were thrown out of classes due to arrears owed the university by the county leadership.

However, upon Wednesday's declaration by the caucus, Bong residents are urging their lawmakers to direct similar approach to Concession Company operating in the county.

  • Comment

Copyright © 2013 FrontPageAfrica. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica aggregates and indexes content from over 130 African news organizations, plus more than 200 other sources, who are responsible for their own reporting and views. Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica.

Comments Post a comment