Labour cabinet secretary Kazungu Kambi has said teachers who participated in a four week strike last month will not receive their July salary.
Speaking at his offices today, the Labour cabinet secretary said the decision by the government to withhold the salary is within the law.
He added that the return to work formula signed with the Kenya National Union of Teachers to end the strike made no mention of July salaries.
Labour Principal Secretary Ali Ishmahil who was also present told teachers that there is no need to go on strike over the issues saying that they can instead go to court to challenge the government's decision.
Knut officials yesterday issued a seven day strike notice over the withholding of the July salary by the Teachers Service Commission.
Knut had also declared a trade dispute with the TSC over its refusal to pay the July salary of teachers who participated in recently concluded four week strike that was orchestrated by the union. Knut chairman Wilson Sossion accused the government of violating the return to work formula that ended the strike that lasted between July 3 to 23. Teachers have also been on a go-slow during this week over the issue.
"We can now confirm that TSC has proceeded to prepare a payroll and deduct teachers' salaries. This the worst form of victimisation." Sossion said
He said the return to work formula marked the "cessation of hostility between the two parties." Sossion further said the victimization of teachers will affect students and not teachers or the government.
Knut secretary general Mudzo Nzili accused the government of withholding salaries so as to redirect the funds. Ndzili urged the government not to deduct teachers salaries stating that "the country should be governed by law and not emotions." Knut's National Executive Council is set to meet on Monday next week to formally kick-off the strike.
Comments Post a comment