More than 2,000 employees of Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology have endorsed the strike called by their unions to press for payment of allowances.
Led by Universities Academic Staff Union (UASU) and Kenya Universities Staff Union (KUSU) officials, they vowed to boycott work until their demands are fulfilled.
Joseph Mutuura Mberia who is the JKUAT secretary general of UASU said this time they will paralyze all operations and will not accept anything short of the sh 3.9 billion that the government owes them in salary increments and other perks.
The unionist who was addressing members of the three unions who met at the university's pavilion accused the government of colluding with Vice-Chancellors to deny workers their rights.
"This time we shall ensure all activities including teaching or
examinations are paralyzed. The government has taken us for a ride for too long," Mr. Mberia said. However, he said workers would report to work normally on Monday should the government release the money earlier.
The government had agreed to pay university workers allowances totaling sh 7 billion following a crippling strike in September last year, but so far only sh 2.1 billion has been paid.
The latest industrial action was called last Tuesday by UASU and KUSU officials who accused the government of reneging on its part of the negotiated pay deal.
Comments Post a comment