Leadership (Abuja)

Nigeria: JTF Foils Terrorists' Attempt to Regroup

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has said that the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) involving Nigeria, Niger and Chad has foiled plans by some insurgents to regroup and continue their terrorist activities in the country. This was disclosed in a statement issued by the director of defence information, Brigadier General Chris Olukolade, in Abuja yesterday.

The MNJTF is a joint force established in 2011 to ensure security at the borders of the three countries and international cooperation as well. The statement added that the plans by some terrorists, who have relocated to neighbouring Niger Republic to remobilise and rearm themselves with the aim of launching fresh attacks on some Nigerian communities, was pre-empted by the joint forces.

Olukolade further said that the leader of the group who had fled Nigeria when the terrorist camps were destroyed was reportedly recruiting fresh hands and training them for renewed terrorist activities in Nigeria.

"The intention of the group is to focus its attacks on some towns around the Nigeria-Niger Republic border. Intelligence operatives of the Multi-National Joint Task Force (MNJTF) had been on the trail of the leader until he was eventually arrested in Karanga, Niger Republic, on Saturday with the cooperation of Nigerien forces," he added.

The DHQ added that the arrested leader's other accomplices were later picked up in other villages in Nigeria, adding that they were currently being interrogated.

JTF warns of planned Boko Haram attack on Maiduguri

As the Muslim community observes Ramadan fasting which will be completed with the Eid-el-Fit-ri festival next Thursday or Friday, the Joint Task Force (JTF) Operations Restore Order in Maiduguri has warned the public to be conscious of happenings around them and be always at alert.

The spokesman of the JTF, in a press statement, said "in the continued effort to destroy all acts of terrorism in Borno State, the Joint Task Force [JTF] wishes to alert citizens and residents of the state of the impending plans by Boko Haram terrorists to carry out massive attacks and bombings in Maiduguri metropolis and other parts of Borno State any moment from now and during the Eid-el-fitri festival".

Accordingly, "the Joint task Force requests the general public to be more concerned and vigilant about happenings in and around their immediate communities," the statement further added. "The public are also reminded to be cautious and to report any suspicious movement, actions and abandoned objects in public places, particularly those in polythene bags and other sacks, to the nearest security checkpoints for immediate action.

"The JTF further reminds the people of Borno State that although a curfew has been reviewed from 6am to 11pm daily, checks are continuously being conducted throughout the night in order to ensure safety, security of lives and properties as well as consolidating on the successes recorded so far in our collective fight against terrorism."

A few days ago, a series of bomb blasts rocked Kano city killing about 20 innocent people in Sabon Gari.

Multiple explosion rocks Lagos

A multiple explosions in the late hours of yesterday sparked off an intense fire incident in a mechanic village near the Central Mosque located in Alausa- Ikeja, at the Lagos Central Business District.

This came barely 24 hours after another fire incident gutted Mouka Foam factory in Oba Akran area of the state.

Our correspondent gathered that some combustible content were being off loaded into the yard when the drums of the content exploded resulting in the inferno.

An eye witness said, "The fire is not coming from a building, it is an empty yard used by some mechanics. They were off loading some chemicals when it exploded and caused fire."

Confirming the fire incident, the Director of Lagos State Fire Service, Mr. Rasak Fadipe, who spoke to LEADERSHIP Friday on phone said that the source of the fire is not known yet.

The director said people had been asked to vacate the premises to avert loss of lives, adding that his men are battling to put out the fire.

"We don't want another tragedy in the place. We have asked people flocking around to leave the place,' he added.

Fadipe appealed to Lagos residents to be safety-conscious and avoid things that could cause fire accidents in their homes and at workplaces.

  • Comment

Copyright © 2013 Leadership. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica aggregates and indexes content from over 130 African news organizations, plus more than 200 other sources, who are responsible for their own reporting and views. Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica.

Comments Post a comment