Johannesburg — The SA National Defence Force (SANDF) on Saturday denied reports that South African troops had clashed with rebels in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
"We have not heard about any of this," said SANDF spokesman Brigadier General Xolani Mabanga.
The SA National Defence Union (Sandu) said the local troops had been involved in clashes with the rebels.
"[We understand] that troops deployed in the intervention brigade in the eastern DRC have been engaged in at least two incidents of engagement with enemy rebel forces near Goma over the past 12 hours," Sandu's Tim Flack said in a statement.
"Apparently our troops eliminated an enemy machine gun nest hampering the advance of Congolese forces and also returned mortar fire on rebel forces."
Flack said the union wished the local troops in the DRC all the best.