For Ugandan traders and transporters that have been uncertain about the safety and urgency of their merchandise from destinations like Mombasa or Dar es Salam needn't worry anymore as Tata has launched its 2011 Prima truck in Uganda.
The Indian based car manufacturer has decided to take a stab at the heavy duty segment and bring the Prima trucks to Uganda to compete with the 40 tonnes segment with famous names like Volvo, Iveco, Scania and Mercedes.
"Data worldwide has always had interests in long haulage transportation and has been successful in African countries like Mozambique, Kenya, and Ghana and in Asia, Sri Lanka and India. We are optimistic that the Prima trucks will not only simplify transportation but also remain economically viable to our Ugandan customers," explained Shalendra Kundra, the Executive Director, Tata Uganda.
The trucks include tippers, tractor heads in various configurations suited for adverse of which offer several applications to meet varied end-user requirements making it an indispensable asset for transporters, car carriers, miners, construction that operate small or large fleets.
Although the trucks cost US$ 100,000, TATA is offering a discount of USD 5000 for any vehicle purchased between Aug.27 to Sept.26 this year.
According to Kundra, TATA is partnering with some of the leading banking institutions in the country to offer attractive financing schemes to prospective buyers. These include Stanbic, Dfcu and KCB.
Speaking to the press, Dennis Owili, the Head, Vehicle and Asset Finance, Stanbic Bank Uganda said the bank believes that through funding, the customers can acquire the trucks. The interested customers will have to pay 15% while the bank will finance the other 85% of the cost of the truck.
However, all the risks will be for the customer as the user has an obligation to insure the asset.
The truck must be comprehensively insured for the period of the contract. Stanbic is also offering a 20% interest rate for the prospective buyer because the bank is not asking for additional security.
Tata Uganda has already equipped its service department to support the Tata Prima range trucks.