Nyala / Nertiti — Masked gunmen reportedly raided the compound of the Red Cross near to the airport of Nyala, Capital of South Darfur on Monday morning. Separately, the organisation has confirmed that six of the eight members of staff abducted near Nertiti, also on Monday morning, have been released.
A witness told Radio Dabanga that nine masked gunmen scaled the fence into the Red Cross compound in Nyala's airport zone at about 1am. They allegedly beat two guards before removing mobile phones, computers, foreign currency and other property of the organisation's workers before fleeing to an unknown destination.
The source said that several international staff members were present in the compound at the time of the attack, including Swiss, Canadian, and Serb nationals.
The Red Cross has apparently reported the incident to the North Nyala police.
On Tuesday, it was announced that six of the eight Red Cross staff abducted on the road from Nertiti in Central Darfur to state capital Zalingei on Monday morning, have been released. The two vehicles they were travelling in, as well as the drivers, are still in the hands of the captors.
UN spokesman Rafia Allah Qureshi, told AFP that the staff members were returning from a training course in first aid, as well as maintaining water pumps when they were abducted. Qureshi said the release of the six, including the Red Cross director for Nertiti locality Abubakar Mohamed Saleh, was secured via "contacts at various political, military and intelligence levels and with officials with tribal influence in the region".
Following their arrival in Nertiti on Tuesday afternoon, it was reported that the captives had been tortured during their ordeal. They were then also cross-examined by police.
Drivers Habib Hamza and Salah have reportedly not been released and neither have the two Red Cross vehicles.