Congo-Kinshasa: Shelling of Rwanda By DRC Forces Intensifies

press release

Photo: Les Neuhaus/IRIN
A UN armored-personnel carrier glides by a Congolese woman just south of the flashpoint village of Rutshuru, which lies roughly 65 km north of the provincial city of Goma (file photo).

Kigali — Rwanda's Minister of Foreign Affairs and Government Spokesperson said today that DRC forces have intensified deliberate shelling of Rwandan territory.

A bomb fired by FARDC at 9.45am this morning killed a woman and seriously injured her two-month old baby in a market in Rubavu town. A second bomb landed at 11.20am near the grand barriere in Rubavu town injuring one person and eight bombs landed at Busasamana village in Rubavu District at 11.30am. This follows thirteen bombs and rockets fired by DRC forces on Wednesday at Rwandan border villages in Rubavu District. A total of 34 bombs and rockets have been fired into Rwanda in the last month by DRC forces.

Minister Mushikiwabo said: "The persistent shelling of Rwandan territory is unacceptable, as it would be to any sovereign nation. Rwandan civilians are being targeted by DRC forces. We have remained restrained for as long as we can but this provocation can no longer be tolerated. We have the capacity to determine who fired at us and will not hesitate to defend our territory. Rwanda has a responsibility to protect its population."

Minister Mushikiwabo said the Government of Rwanda has repeatedly urged the Government of DRC to stop attacks on its territory but instead violations have increased in frequency and intensity. She pointed out that no one is calling out the FDLR génocidaires who continue to be inexplicably shielded, while actively collaborating with DRC forces right across Rwanda's border.

"It is hypocritical for the international community to talk about protecting civilians when FARDC together with FDLR are causing harm to our citizens as if the lives of Rwandans have no value. The attacks by FARDC and FDLR have now reached another level."

Minister Mushikiwabo said it was regrettable that the international community has not mustered the necessary coherence to properly manage the situation, including supporting the regional political dialogue that had yielded a lull in the fighting in Eastern DRC.

"The shelling by FARDC and FDLR has been a sustained strategy of provocation designed to draw Rwanda into the conflict. Rwanda is the most willing signatory to the peace and security framework and we have done everything we can to contribute durable peace in the Eastern DRC. But we will not stand by while the army of one of the signatories continues to shell civilian targets in Rwanda."

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 Government of Rwanda. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.

InFocus

Rwanda Accuses DR Congo of Shelling

A UN armored-personnel carrier glides by a Congolese woman just south of the flashpoint village of Rutshuru, which lies roughly 65 km north of the provincial city of Goma (file photo).

Rwanda is accusing the Democratic Republic of Congo of launching rockets into border cities. The DRC in turn says M23 rebels are responsible in a bid to draw Rwanda into the ... Read more »