The owner of City to City bus company was yesterday accused of allowing unroadworthy vehicles on public roads. Mohamed Sheik, who was arrested on Sunday, was also accused of failing to keep records of the bus drivers contrary to the Traffic Act.
A City to City bus crashed at Ntulele shopping centre on Narok-Nairobi road killing 41 people last week. Sheik denied the charges. The court heard that Sheik and another, who is yet to be arrested and charged, will today face charges over the Thursday accident in a Narok court. His case is set to begin on October 18.
Sheik's lawyer, Cliff Ombeta, asked court to grant him lenient bail terms. He said the application by the prosecution to keep him in custody is unreasonable. Nairobi senior principal magistrate Peter Ndwiga remanded Sheik at Muthaiga police station. Also charged yesterday were the company's drivers John Mutua, Justus Muthui, Joseph Abukusta and Patrick Kilonzi.
The four were accused of driving unroadworthy vehicles on public roads. Police said some parts and equipments are not maintained in safe condition contrary to the Traffic Act. The four denied the charges and were released on a Sh50,000 bail each. Their case is set to begin in October. Among those who perished in last Thursday's accident are four children.
Thirty five passengers died on the spot while six others succumbed to injuries in hospital. The bus was travelling to Homabay from Nairobi. The whereabout of the bus's driver is still unknown.