A STRIKE planned by Nairobi county government employees has been stopped by the Industrial Court. The more than11,000 workers were to strike yesterday morning to compel the government to implement a collective bargaining agreement which was signed on September 1 last year.
Nairobi government's lawyer Tom Ojienda said the agreement was signed by the national government and the employees' union representatives. Ojienda however told Justice Maureen Onyango that the county was not party to it. He said section 6 of the sixth schedule gives the national government rights and obligations entered into before the establishment of the county.
Ojienda said revenue collected every month is not sufficient to increase the employees' salaries. He said the county collected about Sh454 million in July, which is Sh5.4 billion annually. Ojienda said the county will require Sh10 billion to implement the CBA.
"If the intended strike by the respondent proceeds, delivery of services to millions of residents will be grounded. Lives will be endangered and impunity will reign," Ojienda said. Justice Onyango said employees should not withdraw labour until the case is heard and determined. The case will be heard on September 9.