The Congress of South African Trade Unions in Mpumalanga joins all progressive organisations in Swaziland and Internationally in active solidarity and full support of the Global Week of Action on Swaziland. For more than three decades, COSATU has been an active supporter of the Swaziland working class people in their struggle for the economic and political emancipation of all the people in Swaziland. The 2013 Global Week of Action coincides with the false and fraudulent elections called by the autocratic regime.
Swaziland remains the only country in the Southern African Development Community (SADC) that is ruled by an autocratic monarch. Swaziland's economy is characterised by high levels of unemployment, object poverty, rampant corruption, high levels of HIV/AIDS, patriarchy and growing income inequalities. In support of all the progressive structures inside and outside Swaziland who are advocating for a new and democratic society, COSATU will stage a protest march to the Oshoek border gate on the 06 September 2013.
COSATU supports all the demands of the people of Swaziland which amongst others include the following:-
• Unconditional release of all political prisoners including Amos Mbedzi
• Unconditional return of all the young people who have been forced to go to exile.
• Unbanning of all political parties.
• Establishment of a democratically constituted National Convention for fall stakeholders to freely participate in determining the process towards proper free and fair elections
• End to corruption and looting of the State resources by a few elite connected to King Mswati.
For more information please contact the COSATU Mpumalanga Provincial Secretary Fidel Mlombo @ 0827195699 - See more at: http://www.cosatu.org.za/show.php?ID=7714#sthash.8mGcQW7j.dpuf
COSATU Border Blockade statement - Supporting the Global week of action for democracy in Swaziland
COSATU joins the global progressive movement in pledging full support to the legitimate struggles of the people of Swaziland.
The people of Swaziland have unanimously rejected the royal circus called elections, which are managed by an incompetent, discredited and sycophantic bunch of Mswati's puppets called the Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC).
COSATU is responding to a call by the progressive movement of Swaziland united under the umbrella of the Swaziland United Democratic Front (SUDF), which has called all to action against royal machinations and tinkhundla mischief disguised as elections. It is a call for an alternative to the crisis tinkhundla has plunged the country into, hence the call for a People's government.
We shall be engaged in the following activities;
• Border blockade at Oshoek and Matsamo Border posts on the 6th September, 2013, which marks the 45th anniversary of royal oppression, that resulted from the hijack of the people's struggles for independence from British rule by the royal minority, hence the botched independence of Swaziland.
• A Picket at Swazi consulate in Johannesburg on the 6th September at 12h00.
• We also support the Global Inquiry to be led by former COSATU General Secretary and former Minister under President Mandela, Jay Naidoo as organised by TUCOSWA, ourselves and international allies
We also agree with the progressive movement of Swaziland that the tinkhundla state has co-opted into its corrupt agenda elements disguised as opposed to the system, but are eager to join the table of royal privilege to be part of the big royal loot in the name of "defeating the system from within", which was used by the Bantustan leaders in apartheid South Africa and proved to be a big failure.