Premium Times (Abuja)

12 September 2013

Nigeria: Kidnappers Free Mike Ozekhome

Photo: Vanguard
Mike Ozekhome carried by supporters after his release

A Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mike Ozekhome, who was kidnapped by unknown gunmen on August 24, has been released by his abductors.

A family friend to the Ozekhomes and former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode told PREMIUM TIMES he had a telephone conversation with the lawyer this morning.

"I just spoke to him and he was very excited," the former minister said. "He was full of thanks to God and was in very high spirits."

The spokesperson of the Edo state police command could not be reached to confirm Mr. Ozekhome's release, but a source within the command, who asked not to be named because he was not authorised to speak on the matter, confirmed the human rights lawyer had been freed by his abductors.

Mr. Ozekhome was seized in Benin on August 24, with his abductors killing four police officers on patrol who tried to prevent the abduction.

The names of the murdered officers are yet to be released by the police high command.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 Premium Times. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.