Nairobi — Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero has revealed plans to cut down the bloated workforce at the County. He made the announcement hours after the striking workers resumed work following a deal brokered by officials of the Kenya County Government Workers Union.
He says the workers have agreed to assist in the process of flushing out ghost workers. Addressing the media, Kidero also said he intends to stop corruption within the city in order to enhance services to Nairobi residents. "We had a reconciliatory meeting yesterday with the workers; they are already back to work. There are issues of funding the programme but we have agreed to work together," he said.
"They are the people who can identify who the ghost workers are since they are their colleagues."
He said he has put measures in place to enhance revenue collection in the city saying they will remain vigilant so that the county government does not go back on its promises. "There are also the people who know those who collect money and do not remit and this way, they will help us seal the loopholes in term of revenue leakages," he said.
Kidero also revealed that the workers had agreed to double their efforts saying majority have not been performing. Some of the departments that were worst hit by the strike include Pumwani Maternity Hospital which was closed on Tuesday and the City Funeral Home which had been operating under deplorable conditions.
Deputy Governor Jonathan Mueke told Capital FM News on Wednesday that last year's Collective Bargaining Agreement will be fully implemented by the end of this month. He has urged City Hall employees to work extra hard so that the county can get revenue to sustain its implementation.
The Kenya County Government Workers Union Nairobi branch chairman Benson Oliang'a described the industrial action as successful and urged all union members to report back to work.