The Kenya Defence Force has said it will move to curb corruption in this years recruitment exercise.
About 2,500 servicemen and women and constabulary will be recruited in the one-month exercise scheduled to begin on September 23.
The vice chief of KDF, Lieutenant General Samson Mwathathe yesterday said 22 fraud cases involving Sh7 million took place in 2012 as compared to Sh10 million involving 46 people in 2011.
He said that although the exercise will take one month, the military is ready to deal with corruption by reporting it to the Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission, National Intelligence Service, media and other stakeholder.
Mwathathe said reasons will be given to unsuccessful candidates on why they were not absorbed by the force.
He said the Chief of Defence Forces, General Julius Karangi will oversee the countrywide exercise that will draw 16 teams led by Brigadier Peter Magut who will be the chief recruiting officer.
"We have put in elaborate measures to detect and deter cases of corruption and are warning civilians and those in the military that any attempt to interfere with the exercise will be dealt with promptly. Ministry of Defence has a policy against corruption as stipulated in the Citizens Charter. This is a free exercise. Military personnel implicated in corruption will be dealt with promptly while civilians will be handed over to the police," Lt Gen Mwathathe said yesterday.
Three senior military officers of the rank of Major lost their jobs last year after being implicated in corruption during last year's exercise.