The Abubakar Kawu Baraje-led faction of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP said it has reviewed the state of the nation and the pulse of Nigerians, and therefore, advised President Goodluck Jonathan to abandon his plan to seek re-election in 2015 as "this ambition of his is not in the best interest of the country"
In a statement by its spokesperson, Chukwuemeke Eze, on Tuesday in Abuja, the new PDP said although Mr. Jonathan has yet to categorically declare his intention to run, he has given enough clue that he is working towards doing so.
The latest of such clues, it said, came on Sunday in New York, USA. Speaking at a luncheon with Nigerian professionals in the United States, President Jonathan insisted that he is eligible to contest in 2015 as "we have a constitution that makes a provision for a maximum of eight years for anyone who wants to become a president or a governor."
According to Mr. Eze, the President has said nothing new as he made a similar claim in April last year in his affidavit in response to the suit instituted at an Abuja High Court by a PDP member, Cyriacus Njoku, seeking to stop him from contesting the 2015 presidential election.
"We are worried that Mr. President is intent on running despite his earlier promise not to do so and in spite of the wise counsel of well-meaning Nigerians, including respected elder statesmen, "he said.
Mr. Eze recalled that in February, 2011 while interacting with Nigerians and diplomats working in the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, UNECA and the African Union, AU, in Ankara, Turkey, President Jonathan clearly stated: "I would have loved that the Nigerians in Diaspora vote this year (2011) but to be frank with you, that is going to be difficult now. Presently, the law does not allow the voting outside Nigeria and so this year Nigerians in Diaspora will not vote but I will work towards it by 2015 even though I will not be running for election." Mr. President went ahead to add: "Four years is enough for anyone in power to make significant improvement and if I can't improve on power within this period, it then means I cannot do anything even if I am there for the next four years."
The factional PDP spokesperson said Mr. Jonathan's statement in Turkey is a historical fact which he cannot deny now since he had two years to deny that statement but never did so.
"How does Mr. President want Nigerians and the entire world to see him for this volte face? Why can he not keep his words as a man of honour instead of allowing himself to be misled by selfish advisers to go back on his words, thereby overheating the polity?" he asked.
Mr. Eze also urged the president to heed the advice of well-meaning Nigerians such as constitutional lawyer Ben Nwabueze, and Archbishop Emeritus of the Catholic Archdiocese of Lagos, Olubunmi Okogie, all of whom have advised him to stay away from the 2015 presidential race.
"By 2015, President Jonathan would have served our nation for six solid years. This, surely, is enough time for him to achieve whatever he is capable of doing for Nigeria. What else is he looking for that is making him desperate to participate in the 2015 presidential election despite warnings that doing so may spark a chain of events capable of culminating into the country's disintegration thereby bringing to pass the predictions of Lord Lugard that Nigeria as a nation by 2014 maybe history, which was later confirmed by the USA Think-Tank that Nigeria may disintegrate by 2015.
"Apart from all these, should President Jonathan contest and win by 2015 it means he would have spent ten years in office and will be sworn in three times as the President of Nigeria against the provisions of the country's constitution," Mr. Eze said