The United States government has said that Boko Haram will be defeated in Nigeria just as it said that it remained concerned about the security situation in the country. The US added that it would continue to provide necessary supports for the Nigerian government to conquer the people behind the insecurity in the country.
Speaking during a press briefing with journalists at the Department of State in Washington, DC yesterday, spokesperson of the White House Ms. Marie Harf, Deputy said that the United States government would not relent in its efforts to ensure that terrorism was eradicated in Nigeria.
Asked why the United States preferred to assist Nigeria to tackle Boko Haram and abandoned Mali when both countries are facing the same security challenge, Ms. Harf said: "Well, actually, I think it's really comparing apples and oranges here, right? Because, as you know, the assistance was cut off to Mali as the result of a specific political situation in the country, that we ended assistance in response to a very specific situation.
"Look, in Nigeria, obviously, we remain deeply committed to helping the Nigerian Government in its fight against Boko Haram. We remain very concerned about ongoing attacks in Nigeria being perpetrated by Boko Haram, and we will continue discussing with Nigerian authorities appropriate steps to counter this group. We will work with the government and we are sure that Boko Haram will be defeated.
"Obviously, if we have issues with reports of things that they're doing, we will raise those as well. So I think they're very different situations, but clearly, we are committed to countering the extremist threat wherever it operates around the world"
Just two days ago, the United States and the United Nations had condemned the attack that was made on some students of the College of Agriculture at Gujba local government area of Yobe State on Sunday.
Jen Psaki, a Department of State Spokesperson, who reacted on behalf of the US government said that the United States stood with all Nigerians to reject the heinous violence that continues to be perpetrated by Boko Haram and other extremist groups.
The official continued that those attacks on innocent civilians had no place in a democratic society. He stressed that : "Following last week's heinous attack in Benisheikh, where more than 160 people were shot and slaughtered, this weekend's attacks in Yobe state took the lives of more than fifty innocent students and civilians. Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and loved ones of those who lost their lives in these senseless acts of violence".
She also urged the government of Nigeria to work together with the families of the victims and affected communities to find and bring those responsible for this deplorable violence to justice, and to enhance the protection of civilians to ensure respect for the rule of law.
In his swift reaction,the United Nations Secretary-General, Mr. Ban Ki-moon, strongly condemned the murder of more than 40 students and the wounding of several others by gunmen at an agricultural college in Yobe state.