5 October 2013

Ethiopia: Study Identifies Gaps in City Road Constructions

Despite the ever-expanding Addis Ababa city road network, the construction quality, road safety and usage require much attention, a study revealed.

Over 3,500 city residents participated in the public survey commissioned by the Addis Ababa Communication Affairs Bureau and conducted by Walta Information Center.

Nearly 70 percent of the participants while recognizing efforts to expand city road coverage, voiced concerns in construction quality as well as problems in road safety and usage. They said such shortcomings have overshadowed the achievements. The rest 30 percent highlighted the success.

Traffic congestions, due to constructions, lack of parking areas, poor sewerage system and coordination problems with public utility providers were also identified as shortcomings by participants.

The Addis Ababa City Roads Authority (AACRA) general manager Fikade Haile (Eng.) acknowledged the shortcomings and welcomed the cooperation of all stakeholders to address the problems.

He said some of the problems require time to be completely resolved and urged residents to exercise patience.

Source: WIC

Copyright © 2013 Ethiopian Radio and Television Agency. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.