Alleged senior al Qaeda figure Abu Anas al-Libi has been transferred to the United States and will face trial in New York, officials have revealed. Captured in Libya, al-Libi is accused of helping execute two bombings.
Wanted for 15 years before the American special forces raid in Tripoli on October 5, al-Libi is a suspect in the 1998 bombings of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania that killed 224 people. After his capture, al-Libi was transported to a Navy ship in the Mediterranean Sea to face interrogation.
The computer expert was brought to New York over the weekend. He will reportedly face a criminal indictment filed in 2001 in a civil court.
"The government expects that he will be presented before a judicial officer tomorrow (Tuesday)," US Attorney Preet Bharara said in a statement.
Seized terror suspect sparks US legal headache
The US capture of a suspected al Qaeda chief from his own home in Libya once again puts the focus on the legality of Obama's version of the "war on terror." The Libyan government's role is also ambiguous. (08.10.2013)
The US had placed a bounty of $5 million (3.7 million euros) on al-Libi's head while he was on the run. US President Barack Obama said last week that the Libyan had "planned and helped to execute a plot that killed hundreds of people, a whole lot of Americans."
The kidnapping of Libya's Prime Minister Ali Zidan last Thursday was allegedly a direct response to al-Libi's capture. Speaking to Libya's Nabir television station, al-Libi's son Abdullah - in the wake of his father's abduction - said: "The people who took my father were Libyan, not Americans - they spoke with Tripoli accents."
US Secretary of State John Kerry defended the apprehension of al-Libi, describing it as "appropriate and legal."
(dpa, AFP, Reuters)