Uganda exported 224,301 60-kg bags of coffee in September, sharply up on the 176,301 bags it shipped in the same month a year ago, the state-run regulator Uganda Coffee Development Authority (UCDA) said on Wednesday.
"I think farmers were motivated to release more stocks by the need to clear their stores and create room for a new crop from central and eastern Uganda where the main harvest season is starting," a source at UCDA told Reuters.
Central and eastern Uganda account for 55 percent of the country's annual coffee production while south and southwest account for the remaining 45 percent.
Uganda is one of Africa's biggest coffee exporters and bean is one of the government's main sources of foreign currency. Reuters