At least 16 people died in suicide bombing in Hiraan region of southern Somalia on Saturday when a bomber detonated explosives inside an eatery, marking the deadliest terror attack to be reported in months, Garowe Online reports.
The suicide attack that targeted the eatery in Hiraan regional capital of Beledweyne also left the female restaurateur identified as Farhia and seven Somali government soldiers dead with witnesses reporting that 40 people including three Ethiopian soldiers were wounded in the bombing.
As has been the case, Somalia's Al Qaeda linked Al Shabaab group have immediately claimed the responsibility for the attack saying that the target was Ethiopian and Djibouti troops who it said according to the Al Shabaab operations spokesman Sheikh Abdiasis Abu Musab invaded Somalia.
He added Al Shabaab suicide bomber killed 25 people including 13 Ethiopian soldiers.
Beledweyne Mayor Abdibashar Adan who spoke to the media in Beledweyne denied that Ethiopian troops died in the attack, "Three Ethiopian soldiers were killed in the futile attack," he said.
The wounded are being treated at Beledweyne General Hospital and a health facility run by Djiboutian-AMISOM forces in the central Somali town.
Beledweyne has today witnessed the deadliest terror attack since Ethiopian troop's dislodged Islamist militants, Al Shabaab from the town in 2012.
Ethiopia sent its troops into Somalia and has since then been fighting against the extremists in Hiraan, Bay and Bakool regions in southern Somalia.
The Somali Federal Government President Hassan Sheikh Mohamed has strongly condemned the suicide bombing and described as cowardly attack.
"I am sending my condolences to the families of the victims and wish swift recovery for the wounded," said Mohamud