The Tourism Confederation of Tanzania (TCT) is launching a special apprenticeship hotel training program in the effort to revamp the less-than-satisfactory services in the country's hospitality industry.
The pilot training sessions for the proposed national course launches in Arusha early next year between March and April.
It will start in Dar-es-salaam next November, kicking off with 24 trainees and according to the Program Coordinator, Ms Fatma Mabrouk-Khamis, in two years time the standard curricular will form the benchmark of hospitality industry training both within the country and around East African Region.
The Tourism Confederation of Tanzania is undertaking the program in conjunction with the Hotel Association of Tanzania (HAT) and the National College of Tourism (NCT) and targets youth aged between 17 and 25 years, either already working or those who intend to serve in the hotel and tourism sector.The International Labor Organization (ILO) is also supporting the maiden pilot program in the new hospitality training package which is set to be rolled out in Arusha early next year 2014 before extending to the Zanzibar Islands.
"There are so many colleges in the country professing to offer training in the hospitality industry, but each teaches using its own curricular and materials and as the result, the country lacks standard products, causing some operators to 'import' labor force from Kenya or as far as abroad," pointed out Fatma.
The TCT training program coordinator, together with Executive Officer of the Hotels Association of Tanzania Ms Latifah Sykes, held a meeting with hotel owners operating in the Northern Circuit at The Arusha Hotel on Monday, where they introduced the proposed training program to them.
HAT will be seriously involved in screening candidates and participating hotels in order to narrow down the list into highly competitive and quality products and as far as the initial arrangements are concerned, only the classified and graded properties will be involved in the program.
The National Council for Technical Education (NACTE) which is the country's Advisory Committee on Training and Employment is reportedly finalizing work on the set curricular for the new program, which will soon be released, setting the country's standard on such.
"Unlike other apprenticeship training, this program is a formal one which will have participants issued with proper certificates upon completion," added Ms Sykes revealing that much of it accounting for 70 percent will involve practical training at work places while the remaining 30 percent is to be college-based theory learning.