Kenyan police are holding five people over last month's attack on Nairobi's Westgate mall, a top officer said Tuesday (October 29th), adding they hoped to charge them soon.
Criminal Investigation Department Director Ndegwa Muhoro told reporters that investigations were still ongoing into exchanges of text messages and phone calls in the days prior to al-Shabaab's four-day siege that began September 21st.
"We wanted to arraign five of the terrorists in court yesterday, but we have decided to first investigate an SMS exchange of the terrorists which occurred on September 17th," he said, according to AFP. "There are various issues which need thorough investigation, we cannot rush to court."
All the gunmen -- totalling just four, not the dozen that security forces had initially reported -- are understood to have died during the attack.
"Interpol is also assisting us in the investigations, including the analysis of four bodies suspected to be of the terrorists," Muhoro said.
Meanwhile, Kenya's Chief of Defence Forces Julius Karangi said two soldiers have been sacked for looting stores during the massacre, and a third is under investigation.
"The allegations of KDF [Kenya Defence Force] soldiers looting are very serious and we have undertaken to carry out a thorough investigation," Karangi told reporters.