1 November 2013

Mali: Netherlands to Boost UN Peacekeeping Force

The Netherlands has announced that it will send 368 troops to Mali as part of a UN-led peacekeeping mission. The leader of Mali's coup earlier this year has been summoned over human rights abuse allegations.

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said Friday his government was sending the troops in an attempt to help restore stability to the North African country. The Dutch force will join an already existing UN mission in Mali.

The French military reduced its presence in Mali and handed control over to the UN this year following France's initial campaign to drive al Qaeda-linked militants out of Mali's restive northern region.

"We believe Dutch participation increases the chance of success of the UN mission," Rutte said.

Foreign Minister Frans Timmermans said in a letter to parliament that the Dutch force would include 220 troops for intelligence gathering, as well as four Apache combat helicopters.

Inauguration of Mali's president to highlight return to democracy

Two weeks after being sworn in, Mali's new president, Ibrahim Boubacar Keita, is to be officially inaugurated at a ceremony in Bamako at the start of a difficult journey to national recovery.

Dutch trauma

In the Netherlands, deploying soldiers for UN peacekeeping missions is emotionally charged. In July 1995, Dutch soldiers were unable to prevent Bosnian Serb forces from killing some 8,000 Muslim men and boys at Srebrenica in Bosnia.

Rutte said on Friday the decision to deploy Dutch troops to Mali was a tough one, but "all lessons from previous missions have been learned."

Mali power vacuum in 2012

A March 2012 coup in Mali created a power vacuum that allowed Tuareg separatist rebels to seize control of the country's north.

Al-Qaeda-linked Islamist militants later took over half of Mali's north and started moving south. The French military intervened on January 11, but remnants of the militant groups continue to operate in the country.

Malian coup leader summoned

A Malian justice ministry official confirmed on Friday to the Associated Press news agency that the man who led last year's coup, General Amadou Haya Sanogo, had been summoned by Mali's judiciary to address allegations of torture and murder.

Sanogo led the mutiny that began on March 21, 2012, and later declared himself in "total control" of the country.

He is accused of rounding up, torturing and murdering soldiers who attempted a counter-coup against him.

The summons is not a warrant for his arrest, and it was unclear whether Sanogo would later be taken into custody. Sixteen other soldiers linked to the alleged crimes were also summoned.

Sanogo, who denies the crimes, agreed to make way for a transitional government earlier this year, but officially remained in power until new elections were held in July.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 Deutsche Welle. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.