Tanzania Daily News (Dar es Salaam)

Tanzania: Impact As More Natural Gas Is Discovered

The discovery of an additional 2-3 trillion cubic feet of natural gas in in Mronge-1 well brings the total of in-place volumes up to 17-20 trillion cubic feet in Block 2, according to Statoil's Senior Vice- President for Exploration Nick Maden.

He said Mronge-1 is being drilled by Discoverer Americas and the site is located 20 km to the North of Zafarani, at 2,500 meters below sea level.

"We have initiated a new and ambitious offshore drilling campaign in Tanzania following four successful discoveries during the first drilling phase.

This furthers the potential for a natural gas development in Tanzania. The new drilling programme allows us to fully explore the remaining potential in Block 2", he said on Friday. He said at Mronge-1 well gas was discovered at two separate levels.

The Minister for Energy and Minerals, Prof Sospeter Muhongo, said on Friday that government is pleased to learn about the additional gas resources.

The Statoil-operated partnership started the new drilling campaign in September 2013. The campaign includes drilling of several new prospects and appraisal of previous discoveries.

Statoil operates a licence on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation (TPDC) and has a 65 per cent working interest, with ExxonMobil Exploration and Production Tanzania Limited holding the remaining 35 per cent. Statoil has been operating in Tanzania since 2007.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 Tanzania Daily News. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.