Leadership (Abuja)

Nigeria: 54 Percent of Nigerian Youths Unemployed - Bureau of Statistics

Photo: Bunmi Azeez/Vanguard
Okada riders.

The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) yesterday said that 54 per cent of Nigerian youths were unemployed in 2012.

The NBS stated this in a report titled "2012 National Baseline Youth Survey Report" and issued in Abuja by the NBS, in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Youths Development.

"More than half, about 54 per cent of the youth population was unemployed. Of this, females stood at 51.9 per cent compared to their male counterparts, with 48.1 per cent unemployed," the report says.

It says that out of 46,836 youths recorded against different types of crime, 42,071 representing 75.5 per cent were males, while the remaining 24.5 per cent were females.

"Among the 32 different crimes committed, Marijuana (Indian Hemp) smoking has the highest figure, representing 15.7 per cent. This was followed by theft and murder with 8.1 and 7.4 per cent respectively. The least committed crime was Immigration/Emigration, representing 0.04 per cent."

The report says that more than five million youths indicated they were involved in conflict resolution at one level of governance or the other. "But the response of the youths shows that most of them are involved in conflict prevention at the community level, representing 64.9 per cent, while 30.9 per cent are involved at the ward level.

"Only 1.6 per cent is involved at the state level, while 83.9 per cent males are involved in football, females with 16.1 per cent.

"This is also obtainable in boxing, swimming, wrestling and tennis. However, a higher proportion of females, representing 81.1 per cent, are involved in volleyball, with males 18.9 per cent.

"In hockey, 59.3 per cent females and 40.7 per cent males are involved, while 74 per cent females and 26 per cent males are involved in track and field events."

According to the survey, the population of youths aged between 15 and 35 years in Nigeria is estimated to be 64 million, while females are more than males in all age groups. The report says that Lagos State had the highest percentage of youths in Nigeria with 6.1 per cent, followed by Kano State, representing 5.7 per cent, while Bayelsa State had the lowest with1.3 per cent.

"Out of the group of married youths, 68 per cent were females, while 32 per cent were males. The rate of divorce and widowhood was high among the female youths with 70.9 and 71.8 per cent respectively, while 38.5 per cent females were never married."

The report says the objective of the study was to provide useful data for the design and development of youth-focussed programmes by the Federal Ministry of Youths Development and other partners in the country. The study was aimed at generating empirical data to inform policy decisions and guide their implementation. It was also aimed at providing government and other stakeholders with useful data that would assist in the development of young people's employability, to ensure their successful transition to the labour market. (NAN)

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 Leadership. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.

InFocus

Nigeria's 'Labour Pains' Put Squeeze on Youth

Okada riders.

Despite the various programmes put in place by the current government since 2010, and that by previous administrations, over 50 percent of youth were unemployed in 2012, says the ... Read more »