24 December 2013

South Sudan: UN Peacekeeping Force Must Protect Civilians in Peril

press release

Heavy fighting was raging Thursday in South Sudan's key oil-producing north, officials said, although neighbours Kenya and Ethiopia said they had made ... ( Resource: Progess in Efforts to Broker End of S.Sudan Civil War

The UN Secretary-General's request for the UN Security Council to provide additional human and material resources to the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) reflects the urgent need to protect civilians at risk amid the escalating violence, Amnesty International said.

On Monday evening UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called for an additional 5,500 peacekeepers to join the 7,000 UNMISS troops already on the ground with a mandate to protect civilians.

"The Secretary-General's proposal shows that the UN is acutely aware of how dire and dangerous the situation is in South Sudan," said Sarah Jackson, Amnesty International's Deputy Regional Director.

"UNMISS peacekeepers must live up to their mandate to protect civilians, which they have not been able to do effectively in the past. Terrified civilians desperately need protection."

The move to expand the peacekeeping mission comes after violent clashes between rival groups of soldiers erupted in the capital Juba on 15 December before spreading to other parts of the country.

Since then, the violence - which includes inter-ethnic clashes between Nuer and Dinka communities - has resulted in hundreds of civilian deaths, including by rifle and artillery fire. Local hospitals report several hundreds of casualties, though the actual figure may be much higher. More than 80,000 have been displaced, with some 45,000 seeking shelter and protection at UNMISS bases in several cities.

"South Sudanese civilians who are living in fear need to know that they can find protection and perpetrators on both sides who have been terrorizing civilians need to know that they won't be able to do so anymore," said Sarah Jackson.

In his statement on Monday, Ban Ki-moon made clear that anyone responsible for grave violations of human rights and crimes against humanity would be held personally accountable and face consequences.

Amnesty International urges South Sudanese political and military leaders - in particular President Salva Kiir Mayardit, former Vice President Riek Machar and army defector General Peter Gatdet Yak - to issue clear, unambiguous orders to forces under their control and to armed civilians and militias loyal to them to immediately halt all attacks on civilians and civilian property. All available communication channels must be used to ensure that such orders and appeals are publicly disseminated as widely as possible.

The organization also calls on all states to suspend international arms transfers to South Sudan as well as Sudan, where there is a likelihood of them being diverted southward across the border for use by armed opposition groups.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2013 Amnesty International. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.

InFocus

East African Leaders Give S. Sudan Leaders Ultimatum

East African heads of statement have told South Sudan leaders to convene talks by Tuesday, while the government in Juba has agreed to observe a ceasefire. Read more »