A group of youths suspected to be members of the secessionist group, the Mombasa Republican Council (MRC) yesterday set ablaze a chief's office in Rabai area in Kilifi County.
Kilifi county commander James Kithuka police said the office was torched by unknown assailants on Monday night destroying crucial documents.
Speaking to the Star on phone Kithuka said, "Detectives have launched investigation adding preliminary reports indicates that the incident was an arsonist attack by unknown people," He said police are probing the incident to establish the motive behind the latest attack suspected to be carried by MRC group or other illegal groups in the region. Nobody was injured during the raid.
"We cannot rule the involvement of the group in the attack but we are also pursuing other avenues," he said. There had been earlier reports that some members of the MRC were taking an illegal oath in some forests in Kaloleni.
The attacks comes barely a few months after suspected MRC gang armed with assorted weapons were repulsed after they raided Palakumi camp in Kilifi and injured an AP officer.
Kithuka said several people are lined for question including the Kambe chief, Carlson Mtsonga to assist in the investigation.
Mtsonga suspect that a petrol bomb was hurled at his office by unknown assailants that completely razed it.
Mtsonga said "We were alerted about the incident and responded but unfortunately we were unable to put off the raging fire it's unclear who are behind the attack have never been threatened," Reliable National intelligence report NIS warns MRC wave is causing ripples within the government security apparatus.
Intelligence report concludes that although attacks have reduced drastically splinter groups who decamped MRC might be engaging in violence. MRC leadership have however denied the accusations.
MRC spokesman Rashid Mraja, yesterday said the government security agencies and politicians may be planning attacks to blame on the group.