Aswat Masriya (Cairo)

24 January 2014

Egypt Premier Condemns Bombing of Cairo Police HQ

Cairo — Egypt's Prime Minister Hazem al-Beblawi condemned the suicide car bombing that targeted Cairo's Security Directorate on Friday.

Four people were killed and 51 were injured when a suicide car bomber blew himself up at the police headquarters earlier this morning.

"This criminal act is a vile, desperate attempt by evil terrorist forces to ruin the success of Egypt and its people after the ratification of the constitution," Beblawi said in a statement.

These terrorist attacks will not achieve their purpose, he said.

The government and security bodies are exerting all efforts to uncover the identity of the perpetrators, Beblawi added.

Blasts and shootings targeting Egypt's security forces have escalated since former President Mohamed Mursi was deposed last July.

Since then, the government has waged "war against terrorism" and labeled the Muslim Brotherhood, which backed the ousted president, a terrorist organisation.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2014 Aswat Masriya. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.