Premium Times (Abuja)

24 January 2014

Nigeria: 18 Reported Killed As Boko Haram Attacks Maiduguri Satellite Villages

Some villagers in farming communities around Maiduguri said they buried 18 of their neighbours on Wednesday after gunmen suspected to be members of the Boko Haram attacked their communities.

Many other people were injured and several houses were burnt in the attack.

A resident of Njaba Village, Wadai Mutah, who came to the hospital to attend to five of his relatives that sustained bullet wounds in the attack, narrated how the attack occurred.

"Our village was attacked by Boko Haram members on Tuesday and they killed 10 people and set the whole village on fire before leaving," he said.

Mr. Mutah also said a neigbouring village was attacked the next day.

"At the neighbouring Kaya Village, which was attacked on Wednesday, eight people were killed when the Boko Haram attacked, shooting our people and burning their houses.

"Mude and Kwaljiri villages were also attacked and totally destroyed on the same day but the villagers escaped unhurt and ran to Njaba as they did not know that we had been attacked the day before," he said.

One of the survivors of the Njaba attack at the State Specialists' Hospital, Pogu Wovi, narrated how he survived the attack.

"It was after the late evening meals and we were sitting outside when we heard gunshots from various directions," Mr. Wovi told PREMIUM TIMES in Hausa. "There was confusion, with women and children crying for help. I hurt my leg while trying to escape in the dark night but I had to drag myself to the bush and remained there till morning".

Mr. Wovi, who said he is about 45-years-old, said soldiers arrived much later after the attackers had left to give first aid treatment to injured victims in the attacked villages.

"It was when we were receiving first aid treatment that I was told that 10 people had been killed in the attack. On Wednesday, when Mude, Kwaljiri and Kaya villages were attacked, people from there told us that 8 people had been killed in Kaya while Mude and Kwaljiri villages were completely burnt; but all the villagers escaped," he said.

Neither the military nor the police authorities have issued any statement on the recent attacks, which only became public when fleeing residents made it to Maiduguri on Thursday.

Since the January 14 Maiduguri blast that claimed about 43 lives, dozens of people have been killed as gunmen attack settlements around the Borno capital.

Borno, like Adamawa and Yobe, is under emergency rule as the Nigerian military battle to defeat the outlawed Boko Haram sect.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2014 Premium Times. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.