The International Criminal Court (ICC) on Thursday (January 23rd) postponed indefinitely the opening date for the crimes against humanity trial of Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta at the request of the prosecutors.
The "trial chamber vacated the trial commencement date of 5 February 2014," the court said in a statement, adding that a hearing would be held instead to discuss the prosecution's request.
Chief Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda asked for a three-month postponement of the trial after saying last month she no longer had enough evidence to proceed.
The ICC judges further revealed that following the prosecutor's request, Kenyatta's defence filed a request to terminate the proceedings on the grounds of insufficient evidence, Kenya's Daily Nation reported.
Bensouda said she would only continue with the case once satisfied that new evidence would be enough to support the case.