29 January 2014

Africa: Ghana Through to CHAN Final

Photo: CAF
Libyan striker taking on Ghanaian defender.

The Black Stars of Ghana reached their second African Nations Championship final after a 4-1 penalty shoot-out win over fellow West Africans, Nigeria during an absorbing semi-final match played on Wednesday 29-January at Free State Stadium in Bloemfontein. The match had ended goalless and Ghana played for over 50 minutes with ten men after Kwabena Adusei but showed character to knock-out the Super Eagles.

Ghana reached and lost the first CHAN final in 2009 to DR Congo but now the coach Maxwell Konadu's side has chance to try and go one better and win the Trophy when they play Libya in the final on Saturday 1st February in Cape Town.

Libya had earlier reached the final of the African Nations Championship after beating Zimbabwe 5-4 on penalties as the match ended 0-0 after extra-time. Libya keeper Mohamed Abdaula was the hero for his side, saving Zimbabwe's final penalty before converting a spot kick of his own in the shootout, which saw 16 penalties taken.

Ghana were first to settle down into a pattern with good movement of the ball in the midfield. Striker Yayaha Mohamed was making runs in-front of the Nigerian back line and combining with Abraham Attonbrah but none of their efforts really threatened Chigozie Agbim in goal for the Super Eagles.

Despite this domination it was Abubakar Ibrahim of Nigeria who came close to opening the scoring when his overhead kick hit the side netting. Ibrahim went even close on 26th minute with a rasping shot from outside the box that came off the cross bar with Black Stars goal-minder Stephen Adams a beaten man. Before half time the match eased into an even contest but a few tackles saw the flash of the yellow card to both sides.

Adusei got his second yellow for a poor challenge on Abubakar Ibrahim and Ghana were forced to re-organise. There were few clear cut chances for both sides with both defences holding well as the two sides cancelled each other .Samuel Ainooson was at the heart of the solid work done by Ghanaian defence and his effort earned him man of the match award. It was goalkeeper Adams whose last minute save in extra time from an Ugonna Uzochukwu header that kept Ghana alive. Adams dived down to push the goal-bound header over the bar and before the corner kick could be taken it was time for penalties.

Adams saved Kwambe Solomon's spot kick, while Uzochukwu sent his effort over the cross bar. Ghana converted all four kicks to spark celebrations among the 13 000 crowd in attendance at Free State Stadium. Nigeria will now play Zimbabwe for the bronze medal also on Saturday 1st February at 17h00 before Ghana vs Libya final.

More on This
Libya Beat Zim On Penalties to Reach Chan Final

Libya reached the final of the Chan tournament beating Zimbabwe 5-4 on penalties after the titanic clash had ended … see more »

Copyright © 2014 Confederation of African Football. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.