31 January 2014

Nigeria: Govt to Spend N1.35 Trillion On Police Reform

Makurdi — President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday said in Makurdi, Benue State that N1.35 trillion would be spent on police reform in the next six years.

He said 60 per cent of the amount would be provided by the Federal Government while the remaining 40 per cent will be generated from stakeholders and other sources.

Jonathan, who was represented by the Federal Capital Territory (FCT)'s minister, Senator Bala Mohammed at a four-day Police Service Commission (PSC) retreat, added that the National Economic Council has approved the deduction of one per cent from the federal allocation for funding of the police force.

The president further reiterated his administration's commitment to restructure the police by implementing recommendations of several police reform committees set up by past administrations.

Earlier, the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Abubakar, who also stood in for the Minister of Police Affairs, Caleb Olubade, decried the non implementation of police reforms reports.

Abubakar noted that the present police under his watch have accomplished many feats, including the establishment of 500 housing units in Lagos, among several others in some states of the federation.

Similarly, chairman of the PSC, Dr. Mike Okiro, assured that the retreat will help the commission to re-energise and refocus for effective strategic planning.

He maintained that the police exercise enormous powers which need to be checked and balanced in order to prevent it from becoming an instrument of abuse, exploitation and repression.

Enyeama Pulls Out of Tanzania Clash

Super Eagles Captain, Vincent Enyeama, has pulled out of this weekend's 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match … see more »

Copyright © 2014 Daily Trust. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.