1 February 2014

Zimbabwe: Man Jailed for Raping Mental Patient

A 27 YEAR-OLD man from Mwenezi has been sentenced to 18 years in jail for raping a woman with mental health problems.

Masvingo magistrate Lyn Manyika suspended three years of the sentence because Obert Rusenga had been in remand prison for 15 months during the course of the trial.

Prosecutor Mukai Mutunhe told the court that Rusenga took advantage of the woman who was from his village in Mwenezi and raped her once.

The court heard that Rusenga was seated by the road-side when he saw the victim and her brother approaching on their way home to collect their grandmother's phone.

Rusenga inquired where the two were going and offered to accompany them.

After collecting the phone, the court was told that Rusenga ordered the brother to proceed to their grandmother while he remained behind with the sister.

The brother told the court he heard Rusenga propositioning his sister saying he preferred mental health patients because they were least likely to have HIV and AIDS.

He then dragged her into a nearby bush and raped her once.

The woman later reported the attack to her grandmother who alerted the police, leading to Rusenga's arrest.

Copyright © 2014 New Zimbabwe. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.