Abuja — MORE than 90 people have reportedly been killed after alleged members of the outlawed Boko Haram sect attack Izge Village in Gwoza, Borno State.
The terrorists were said to have attacked the village on Saturday evening.
Sources revealed to journalists on Sunday in Maiduguri, that the hoodlums laid siege on the hilly village, killing at will and inflicting severe injuries on the residents. The sources said at present many of the villagers were still missing while others have fled the area.
A resident of the area told journalists in Maiduguri that the gunmen were dressed in military camouflage invaded the town at about midnight on Saturday killing 93 people.
“As I speak, many residents of Izge are missing and those lucky enough to be alive have started leaving,” he said.
He said the terrorists who numbered about 100 hundred came with sophisticated weapons and started shooting sporadically, setting many houses and shops ablaze. An indigene of the town said he lost his father in-law in the siege.
The Borno State Commissioner of Police, Alhaji Lawal Tanko, confirmed that there was an attack on Izge but refuse to volunteered details information on number of casualties.
Meanwhile, members of the Izge community in Maiduguri had expressed their displeasure to both the Federal and State governments over the incessant attacks by insurgents on their village with no concrete measures taken by the government to avert the situation.
They lamented that the entire axis of Gwoza, Bama, Konduga and Damboa towns had been under siege by the insurgents in recent times and called on the federal government to deploy more military personnel and equipment to the area. - CAJ News