Patients have deserted the Embu Level Five Hospital for the second week after health workers continued boycotting work over unpaid salaries. The more than 600 medics who began the go-slow on March 1 stayed away from the hospital and gathered at the Regional Blood Transfusion Centre where they were addressed by their representatives.
The medics said they will not resume work until their salaries are in their accounts. They said they do not want "mere promises" from the county government. Last week, the county assembly passed a supplementary budget in which Sh1.6 billion was set aside to cater for the salaries and other needs.
The salaries of the health workers had not been factored in the county's Sh4.1 budget for the year 2013-14 and the assembly in liaison with the finance department had to deduct the money from other departments.