The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has described the South African police brutality on a Nigerian which was caught on camera as “a horror and particularly disturbing’’.
This is contained in a statement signed and issued on Thursday by the ministry’s spokesman, Mr Ogbole Ode.
It stated that the Nigeria High Commission in Pretoria was investigating the circumstances of the attack on Mr Clement Emekeneh.
It said that the mission sent a strong-worded note to the Department of Foreign Affairs of South Africa protesting the brutal attack, and demanded that perpetrators be brought to justice.
The statement also confirmed that the two South African police officers involved in the merciless beating had been arrested, suspended and being prosecuted.
“The Nigeria High Commission in Pretoria will continue to monitor the case with keen interest until justice is achieved for the victim of this brutality,’’ the ministry’s spokesman said in the statement.
The ministry reassured Nigerians that the Federal Government would not condone maltreatment of Nigerian citizens anywhere.
It appealed to Nigerians living in The Diaspora to be law abiding and be good ambassadors.
NAN reports that the footage of the Nigerian man being brutally attacked by uniformed police in South Africa was posted on social media.
The incident prompted strong condemnation on South Africa’s attitudes towards immigrants given it’s records on xenophobic attacks. (NAN)