THE dozens of managers at the bankrupt Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC) have been told to reapply for their jobs, as the government moves to cull the broadcaster's top heavy structures.
According to sources in the human resources department at the ZBC's Pockets Hill base in Harare, the Information Ministry issued the directive on Wednesday.
"We have since advised all the managers of the directive which came to us (Wednesday) morning," said an official in the department.
"What this means is that they are applying for the same positions they are currently occupying and the applications will be vetted by the new board which would then shortlist them for interviews," said the source.
The ZBC is said to have about 46 managers who have been siphoning a huge chunk of the corporation's revenues by way of massive salaries and allowances over the past five years while workers went without pay.
Last October Information Minister Jonathan Moyo expressed shock at the "army" of managers who lined up to welcome him as he toured Pockets Hill following his appointment to Cabinet.
Sources said the top company managers implicated in salary and residential stands scandals would be axed.
The government was forced to intervene last year and foot the salaries bill after ordinary workers had gone for close to seven months without pay.
The corporation is said to have debts of about $40 million and struggling to generate revenues after being ditched by viewers and advertisers over the poor quality of its programmes.