Djiboutian President Ismail Omar Guelleh on Friday (March 21st) received the bodies of six Djiboutian soldiers who were killed in an al-Shabaab suicide car bomb attack in Bulo Burde earlier this week, Somalia's Goobjoog news reported.
Guelleh praised the fallen soldiers serving under the African Union Mission in Somalia for their bravery and for sacrificing their lives.
He said Djibouti would not withdraw its troops from Somalia, but will rather strengthen its fight against al-Shabaab until peace and stability is restored in Somalia.
Special Representative of the Chairperson of the African Union Commission for Somalia Ambassador Mahamat Saleh Annadif also commended the role played by Djiboutian forces.
Speaking at a meeting with Djibouti's Chief of Defence Forces General Zakariah Sheikh Ibrahim, Annadif said the troops had made a significant contribution towards the fight against of al-Shabaab.
"On behalf of the African Union Commission and on my own behalf, I express heartfelt condolences to the government and the people of Djibouti, relatives and friends of six Djiboutian colleagues who lost their lives in the fight for peace and stability in Somalia," Annadif said.