Maputo — Mozambican President Armando Guebuza has reaffirmed his government's commitment to dialogue with the former rebel movement Renamo, in the search for a solution to the current politico-military tensions.
Speaking in Brussels on Tuesday at a meeting with Mozambicans resident in Belgium, Holland and Luxemburg, Guebuza stressed “We are seriously committed to the dialogue with Renamo. We shall continue. We are different in our way of acting and of thinking, but we are Mozambicans”.
He pointed to the advances achieved in amending the electoral legislation, after long and tortuous discussions with Renamo, and the dialogue has now moved on the question of disarming Renamo.
Guebuza said he is confident this is the path to take, although it is not an easy one. He did not believe that war could be a solution to any problem, particularly to internal disputes within a country.
It would also not be easy to reintegrate into society those involved in Renamo's current military campaign. Nonetheless, the Mozambican government would do all in its power to ensure successful reintegration.
Guebuza insisted that there have been significant improvements in the country's development in recent years. He reminded his audience of the days when people could only read by the light of oil lamps, with the smoke stinging their eyes.
“This happened almost everywhere, and unfortunately it still happens in our country. But it happens much less than it used to”, said the President.
The residents in the diaspora who spoke at the meeting urged Guebuza to ensure that the fruits of economic growth should be extended to all social classes, improving living conditions in both rural and urban areas.
They urged the government to pay particular attention to young people, since the future of the country lies in their hands.
Earlier in the day, Guebuza met with the President of the European commission. Jose Manuel Durao Barroso. On Wednesday and Thursday he will attend the Fourth EU-Africa summit.