Premium Times (Abuja)

16 May 2014

Nigeria: BREAKING: Jonathan Cancels Planned Visit to Chibok

Photo: Amanda Voisard/UN
President Goodluck Jonathan.

A presidential aide also confirmed to PREMIUM TIMES at 12:10 p.m. on Friday that the president was still in Abuja and would fly directly to France.

President Goodluck Jonathan will no longer visit Chibok on Friday, aides have said.

The president had planned to Chibok, the town where over 250 female students of the Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State were kidnapped on April 14.

The visit was supposed to be a stopover on Mr. Jonathan’s trip to France for a security summit.

Although the visit was not confirmed by presidency, an advanced team of the presidential entourage left Abuja for Borno on Thursday; a normal practice in the presidency.

Presidency sources told the BBC that the visit was cancelled due to security concerns.

A presidential aide also confirmed to PREMIUM TIMES at 12:10 p.m. on Friday that the president was still in Abuja and would fly directly to France.

Borno is the major state where the Boko Haram insurgents operate and has been under emergency rule since May last year.

The group, which claimed responsibility for the kidnap of the Chibok girls and has shown video of them, has caused the death of at least 2,000 people in 2014 alone.

In the last one month, the Boko Haram has killed hundreds of people in various raids on different Borno villages. Several houses and other property were also destroyed.

Mr. Jonathan has been criticised for not acting early enough to secure the release of the Chibok girls and for not visiting either the school or the parents of the abducted girls.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2014 Premium Times. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.

InFocus

Nigerian President Cancels Chibok Visit

President Goodluck Jonathan.

President Goodluck Jonathan has cancelled a visit to the parents of more than 200 kidnapped schoolgirls, heading instead to a security summit in Paris for discussions on a strategy ... Read more »