Nairobi — Exhumation of a mass grave that was discovered at a disused quarry in Kitengela is set to begin on Monday.
Touring the scene, the Chief Government Pathologist Johansen Oduor said the exhumation would help the police in their investigations.
Oduor says more bodies might be found at the site, besides the three bodies that were recovered on Saturday.
"What I have seen is that there are some three skulls which are intact attached to body parts... some of the body parts are decomposing; the bodies look very freshly buried within the last three months. In the quarry, some areas have loose soil that looks disturbed, there might be more bodies," he said.
After exhumation, Oduor says they will take the bodies to the City Mortuary where they will conduct post-mortemS.
"The main interest is finding out why these people died, and find out if there is anything that can help the police in their investigations," he said.
On his part, Kajiado County Commissioner Laban Kobia says they suspect a tussle between brokers selling land belonging to the East African Portland Cement Company (EAPCC) may have led to the killings.
"What we are seeing is very fierce rivalry between different brokers selling title deeds some of which look to be downloads from a cyber café. We have evidence that they are selling those shares between 60 and 100,000 shillings for a plot of 40×80 and people have become very gullible," he explained.
He said that they will continue with their probe in order to apprehend the brokers in question.
"The crisis started on two pieces of land located behind the Export Processing Zone. One is 5000 acres and another one is 10,000 acres both of them owned by EAPCC. There are brokers who claim to have obtained titles to these lands... some of them are politicians," he said.
He said that so far five people have been reported missing and urged members of the public to come out and report any more missing people.