Nairobi — Police have linked the gun attack on former Mungiki leader Maina Njenga that left five people dead to infighting between criminal gangs.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Joseph Ole Lenku on Sunday announced that the killings were linked to the persistent differences between gangs linked to Mungiki.
"It has something to do with the infighting between these criminal gangs," Lenku told Capital FM News on telephone after attending a church service in Ngong, where he also made the same announcement.
"It has nothing to do with the police," he declared, after the former criminal sect leader claimed they were targeted by police.
Njenga was attacked on Saturday while in a convoy along the Nyahururu-Oljororok Road by unknown men in a speeding vehicle who sprayed them with bullets.
Two women, including Njenga's lover were among the dead, as well as Njenga's drivers who also worked as his bodyguards. The fifth is a close family member, according to people who know Njenga well.
"The vehicle was overtaking us when we suddenly saw the occupants brandishing guns and shot at us. I was shot on the hand and also a bullet cut my right finger," he said.
Njenga has however, vowed to reveal what he knows about the attack once he is discharged from hospital."It looks like these are policemen who had been trailing us, but I will give more information later."
Speaking from his hospital bed in Nyahururu, the ex-Mungiki leader said he will issue a comprehensive statement on the attack. He has since been transferred to Nairobi.
Njenga is believed to have been wearing a bullet proof vest during the attack.