Aswat Masriya (Cairo)

28 May 2014

Egypt: Sabahi's Campaign Withdraws Delegates From Polls

Cairo — The campaign of presidential candidate Hamdeen Sabahi withdrew all its delegates from polling stations on Wednesday on the third day of Egypt's presidential election.

The Presidential Elections Commission supervising the election extended the vote for an extra day on Wednesday.

Both Sabahi and his contender, former army chief Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, have criticized the extension and filed official complaints to the commission.

Sabahi's campaign said in a statement earlier on Wednesday that some of its members were attacked while trying to expose violations.

The violations included being prevented by police and army forces from entering polling stations, being kicked out while observing the electoral process and being arrested and attacked, the statement explained.

The campaign said it filed official reports to the PEC, but received no response.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2014 Aswat Masriya. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.