31 May 2014

Kenya/Comoros: Kenya Edge Comoros

Kenya's Harambee Stars scrapped through to the second round of the 2015 Africa Nations Cup qualifers after they were held to a 1-1 draw in Moroni by determined Comoros. Kenta goes through to the next round on a 2-1 goal aggregate result.

Goals by Ayub Timbe for Kenya in the 54th minute and the leveller for Comoros by Comoros Begun the game like a house on fire as they fired from all cylinders creating quick counter attacks that earned then quick corners but they failed to utilise despite a buoyant crowd that cheered their every move.

Kenya's approach to the game was more cautious as the hot weather in Moroni took toll on their game plan reducing the pace of the game as Comoros seemed determined to get an early goal.

In the 20th minute Kenya faced a tricky moment after first choice keeper Arnold Origi who linked with the team this week after failing to play in the first leg game spilled a rather easy ball while mid air but Comoros strikers failed to capitalize on the easy chance that came their way .

Despite Comoros pilling up pressure on Harambee Stars and pinning Stars in their own half ,Stars defenders led by American based Lawrence Olum remained steadfast thwarting all attempts as the game went to the break deadlocked at 0-0

Kenya begun the second half on a more enterprising note as Francis Kahata hit the side netting imediately upon resumption from the half time break.

Harambee Stars continued their forage upfront and after relentless effort they won a free-kick and it was the prodigal son Belgium based Genk player Ayub Timbe Masika who broke the deadlock as he curled in a spectacular free-kick past the Comoros keeper Mahamoud Mroivili in the 56th minute to give Harambee Stars the deserved lead.

It was Timbe's second game since ending his self imposed retirement from the national team after misunderstanding with the Football Kenya Federation on a ticket refund dispute.

The goal did not dampen the spirit of Comoros who continued fighting relentlessly buoyed by their passionate fans as they made Harambee Stars midfielders led by captain Victor Wanyama to huff and puff in search of the elusive balls.

Coach Adel Amrouche made a tactical substitute bringing on Inter Milan's player Macdonald Mariga for Saudi Arabia based David Ochiengs and later bringing on Clifton Miheso for injured Francis Kahata but its seemed to spur on Comoros who got their equaliser in the 72nd minute courtesy of Yaacin Saadi easy tap past keeper Arnold Origi that found the Kenya defenders napping as the scores stood at 1-1.

There was drama minutes later as Harambee Stars coach Adel Amrouche was sent off after he caused a commotion in protest at a free kick call as his assistants were forced to drag him to the terraces to avoid further punitive measures .It was the second time Amrouche was sent off after another episode at Calabar in Nigeria when he was sent off when Kenya drew 1-1 with Nigeria in the World Cup 2014 qualifers.

Despite the huddle Kenya held on to the draw scapping through past Comoros on a 2-1 goal aggregate to set up a clash with either Lesotho or Liberia.

Copyright © 2014 Confederation of African Football. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.