The Police High Command wishes to inform the general public that the Force has not issued any order banning peaceful assemblies/protests anywhere in Nigeria," Mr. Mba said.
Less than 24 hours after the Abuja Commissioner of Police, Joseph Mbu, announced a ban on all rallies relating to the kidnapped Chibok girls, the Nigeria Police has reversed the order.
Mr. Mbu had while addressing a press conference on Monday said "Protests on the Chibok girls are hereby banned with immediate effect."
However, a statement on Tuesday by the Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, faulted Mr. Mbu's statement.
"The Police High Command wishes to inform the general public that the Force has not issued any order banning peaceful assemblies/protests anywhere in Nigeria," Mr. Mba said.
Mr. Mbu had on Monday said the ban was placed to deter dangerous persons from infiltrating the peaceful #BringBackOurGirls protest that has been going on daily in the Nigerian capital for about a month.
"Information reaching us is that too soon, dangerous elements will join groups under the guise of protest and detonate explosives aimed at embarrassing the government,'' he had said. "As the FCT police boss, I cannot fold my hands and watch this lawlessness."
Mr. Mba, however, said what the police issued was only an advisory.
"It (the police hierarchy) notes however that against the backdrop of current security challenges in the country, coupled with a recent intelligence report of a likely infiltration and hijack of otherwise innocuous and peaceful protests by some criminal elements having links with insurgents, the Police only issued advisory notice, enjoining citizens to apply caution in the said rallies, particularly in the Federal Capital Territory and its environs," he said.
The #BringBackOurGirls protesters had earlier on Tuesday challenged Mr. Mbu's directive in court.