Cairo — YouTube has responded to Egypt's request to remove a cotroversial controversial video showing a group sexual assault incident that recently occurred in Cairo's Tahrir Square, said a presidential spokesman.
"According to the website's policy, all scenes through which the victim can be identified were removed," spokesman Ehab Badawi said.
Egypt had asked YouTube to remove the video in which the female victim is injured and completely naked while surrounded by groups of people in Tahrir Square. The victim was sexually assaulted last Sunday during celebrations of President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi's victory.
The British Independent newspaper considers that YouTube has rejected Egypt's request to remove the video since it only removed copies where the victim can be identified but kept others that show the incident but hide the victim's identity.
The assault incident occurred as thousands gathered in Tahrir to celebrate the victory of Sisi, raising fears concerning Egypt's commitment towards combating sexual violence against women.
After the video had been posted online, seven people were arrested on charges of involvement in the incident.