In response to the ongoing media reports that the Omukama of Tooro, His Majesty Dr. Oyo Nyimba Kabamba Iguru Rukiidi IV is on a Hunger strike; I wish to categorically state that it is not true! What is true however, is that the King will allocate time next month on his private schedule to fast and pray as a cultural and religious belief. This is not the first time the Tooro Royal Family is doing so. His Majesty has always from time to time fasted and prayed seeking Devine intervention against the works of the Devil in his Kingdom! It is also true, that the King is dedicating time to fast and pray for the challenging situations Tooro Kingdom is going through. This fasting will also give the King time to pray for his subjects amidst the various social-economic hardships they are going through in their private lives.
The people of Tooro have been deeply saddened to learn from the media, the disrespectful reactions by His excellence the president towards the King's action of fasting and praying; whereas the president has a right to express his opinion, the inappropriate language used towards our beloved King is regrettable. The use of the words 'akavubuka ke Tooro' and 'this boy of Tooro' by his excellence the president are culturally and morally unacceptable by not only the people of Tooro but all cultural institutions in Uganda and I would like to call upon all Cultural Leaders in the country to join the people of Tooro and condemn in the strongest terms possible this act of marginalizing and trivializing Cultural Leaders. On that note, I wish to bring to the attention of President Museveni the following;
1. The king of Tooro His Majesty Dr. Oyo Nyimba Kabamba Iguru Rukiidi IV is King by birth; his physical appearance, age and color are not for public opinion.
2. His majesty the Omukama is a fountain of honor to our Tooro culture. He is a symbol of our identity with a sacred social status compared to none in our land and beyond.
3. The people of Tooro are peaceful, loving and very respectful. Any action of disrespect is not welcome. In this case, an action of disrespect towards His majesty the King of Tooro is a personal attack on the people of Tooro region and Uganda as a whole.
4. The President holds a special status entrusted onto him by the people of Tooro as a guardian for the then young King Dr. Oyo and defender of the crown (Mujwarakondo). This means, a supportive role to the King.
In light of the above, we appreciate the numerous contributions His Excellency the President has made towards the institution of Tooro Kingdom but that does not for a second give him leverage to undermine His Majesty Dr. Oyo Nyimba Kabamba Iguru Rukiidi IV, our king and the people of Tooro.
Therefore the people of Tooro Kingdom demand;
1. A Complete withdrawal of President Museveni's words; 'akavubuka ke Tooro' and 'this boy of Tooro' as used in reference to Omukama of Tooro His Majesty Dr. Oyo Nyimba Kabamba Iguru Rukiidi IV.
2. An apology to his Majesty the King and people of Tooro be made by President Museveni as a person for such disrespectful language towards our King.
Sons and daughters of Tooro sacrificed their lives towards the struggle for the liberation of this country. Presently, the people of Tooro have supported President Museveni's (NRM) Government consistently and faithfully.
After all these years, a lot of unfulfilled promises and pledges to the people of Tooro still hang. The people of Tooro have continued to be taken for granted by Mr. Museveni's Government. The hospitality and support by the people of Tooro should not be taken for cowardice and short sightedness. The President should not make the people of Tooro regret the choice of their bride."When one hurts a heart that loves him/her that heart bleeds and the consequences are usually bloody".
As Prime Minister of Tooro Kingdom, I give two fundamental questions to the people of Tooro and President Museveni : 1. who has been a friend or an enemy to the other? 2. Who is fooling who? Finally I would like to warn that TOORO THE SLEEPING GIANT IS NOW WAKING UP! Hangiriza Agutamba! Hangiriza Omukuma Enfuzi! Owalikuliza amaizi, Tulimiliza Esagama! Tulibawe Enzaire! tulibawe Mwebingwa!
Rt. Kaliba Steven
Prime Minister - Omuhikirwa (Tooro Kingdom)
CC. All Media Houses in Uganda
CC. All the Emyenda ya Tooro
CC. To all Cultural leaders in Uganda