Gunmen suspected to be Fulani herdsmen have again murdered 58 villagers in simultaneous attacks on two villages in Sanga Local Government Area of Kaduna State early yesterday.
Sanga, a local government in Southern part of Kaduna State, shares borders with Nasarawa, Bauchi, Plateau and Niger states and the Federal Capital Territory.
Residents also alleged that the attack was carried out by Fulani herdsmen, who killed 21 at Kabamu - Fadan Karshi village and 17 in Nandu villages all in Numana Chiefdom.
A resident of Fadan Karshi, Habila, told our correspondent that the gunmen went to the villages with sophisticated weapons.
He said, "They came to our area with dangerous weapons shooting and setting our houses ablaze. Last weekend, some couples who went to farm were also killed. We were able to kill one of the attackers and arrested one other person. That is why we know that the attack was carried out by Fulani."
He said the attack affected some communities in Kabamu in Karshi District and Ankpong in Nandu District all of Numana chiefdom.
Another resident, Victor, also disclosed that "Women and Children were the major casualties of the attacks. We don't know the mission of this people."
"The Fulani stormed the village at about 11p.m on Monday night with sophisticated weapons. They started shooting and killing human beings like animals.
"They killed 17 people, mostly children and women and injured several people in Nandu village and Kabamu in Fadan Karshi all in Numana chiefdom. They burned several houses," said Victor.
Confirming the killings, the Sanga Local government Chairman, Hon Emmanuel Adamu who visited the scene of the attack described it as barbaric.
Adamu also confirmed the number of those killed, saying the attack started at about 10 p.m. on Monday up to the early hours of yesterday.
"The attack lasted for several hours claiming the lives of 21 people at Kabamu village and 17 at Ankpong villages in Nandu district," Adamu said.
According to the council Chairman, "Fulani men carried out the attack. The soldiers were able to shoot two of the gunmen; one died immediately, while the other sustained injuries. The soldiers arrested him. The Fulanis gunmen were wearing Mobile Police uniform; they disguised as Police."
"The attack is uncalled for, and one cannot even describe an attack that killed many people. We lost about 21 people at Fadan Karshi, and in Nandu district 17 people were killed. We lost 38 people in one night attack. This is condemnable in every sense of the word. We recorded lots injuries. It was a massacre in the land," he added.
He condoled the affected families and appealed to the people of the local government to remain calm as security measures were being put in place to forestall recurrence.
As at the time of filing this report, villagers were sighted relocating to unknown destinations for safety.
It would be recalled that, in May 2014, seven people including two gunmen were killed during an attack on a police post at Fadan Karshi.
Another attack claims 20 lives in Kaduna village
The Chairman of the Sanga local government area in Kaduna State, Mr. Emmanuel Adamu has confirmed the killing of 20 people in another attack on one of his communities by Fulani gunmen.
The council chairman said the attackers stormed Kobin village still in Numana chiefdom killing children, women and older men in broad day light.
He said, the attackers stormed the community at about 1 pm yesterday afternoon killing anybody on sight.
He added that the fresh killing of the 20 people in Kobin Village raised the tally of those people killed in just one chiefdom to 58.
"I am speechless, I do not know what to do again; this is heartless; how can people derive pleasure in killing small children and women?" he asked in tears.
A resident of Kobin village, Timothy who narrowly escaped death told our correspondent many people were killed in their farms and the dead bodies had been deposited at a small mortuary in Gwantu.
Meanwhile, the Kaduna State Police Command has confirmed the attacks on the three communities, but put the number of casualties at 18 people which is different from the figure released by the chairman of the local government.
The State Police Commissioner, Umar Shehu, as at the time of filing this report, said 18 persons had been confirmed dead while several others sustained various degrees of injuries, just as he disclosed that three persons had been arrested with AK47 riffle and about 158 rounds of ammunition.
CP Shehu however said that the situation was under control following the deployment of more security personnel to the troubled area.
"I can confirm the death of 18 persons and several others wounded; we have also arrested three persons in connection with the crisis; they were arrested with AK47 and about 158 rounds of ammunition.
"We have deployed more security personnel to the area and the situation is under control as I speak to you now", he said.
He said, investigation into the remote cause of the crisis had commenced while those arrested were being interrogated to get further details on their involvement in the fracas.
Meanwhile, he urged citizens to go about their lawful business and remain law abiding as the police remained committed to provide security for the good people of the state and their property.
Declare state of emergency in southern Kaduna - Group tells FG
Reacting yesterday, Concerned Realists of Southern Kaduna called for the declaration of a state of emergency in the state.
The group in a statement signed by its convener, Dr John Danfulani said the world should know there was a monumental failure in handling security issues in Southern Kaduna by the Federal and Kaduna state governments.
"We make bold to state that the government of Kaduna state is inciting crisis like we saw in Chawai Chiefdom where two persons lost their lives at the weekend, following forceful appointment of a traditional ruler while a case is pending in court. Similarly, four persons, incidentally couples were killed on Sunday in two locations before Tuesday's massacre.
Governor Mukhtar Ramalan Yero who condemned the attack at Fadan Karshi village, Sanga Local Government, described the act as a "provocative attempt by some unpatriotic people to cause confusion and unrest".
The governor in a statement by his spokesman, Ahmed Maiyaki, condoled with families of victims of the unwarranted attack on innocent citizens in the area.
Governor Yero said: "We call on people in Fadan Karshi and other parts of the State to remain calm as security forces have already been deployed in the area to maintain law and order. We should remain united and resolute in resisting obvious attempts by agents of darkness to create confusion and sow seeds of discord in our state."
The Governor said security agencies had already been directed to commence investigation into the matter and were on the track of the criminals adding that "no stone shall be left unturned in our resolve to bring perpetrators of this attack and all other criminal assaults on our people in the past to justice."
The Governor called on the entire people of Kaduna State to continue to live in peace with one another and to become more vigilant in observing happenings in their areas with a view to assisting security agencies with relevant information on suspicious persons and movements within and around their communities.
40 suspected Boko Haram members arrested in Cameroon
Meanwhile, Cameroon's military has arrested 40 suspected Boko Haram militants in the north of the country. Soldiers have also sealed off a market where they suspect Boko Haram may be hiding arms for use in the insurgency across the border in Nigeria.
"A gendarme [military] raid on the Maroua Central Market has led to the arrest of over 40 people," a state radio broadcaster announced. "The arrests are in connection with ongoing investigations into the activities of the Boko Haram group in the far north region of the country."
In an interview with the private Danay FM radio station, Maroua businessman Wanika Baba, said many of the arrested were his peers and there was confusion in the community.
He added that he did not understand what was happening as the military had the market sealed for two days and had arrested so many people. He said children and women were suffering from the closure and no one knew the fate of those arrested.
Colonel Nyemeck Pierre, who led the military raid, told VOA that the central government ordered the military action as part of its fight against Boko Haram incursions into Cameroon.
"It is the duty of the military to filter the population so that enemies do not infiltrate into Cameroon," he said in French, adding that the matter was complicated because along the border there were Nigerians and Cameroonians who belonged to the same families and soldiers had to try to distinguish who was a militant.
This is the first time Cameroon's military has carried out an operation on such a large scale in a single day.
Security officials confirm abduction of women, but not certain about number
Top security sources in Borno State yesterday confirmed the abduction of women and girls by suspected Boko Haram gunmen who attacked remote villages in southern part of the state.
But the security source, an officer at the Department of Security Services (DSS) who would not want to be named, contended the "over 60 women" were abducted, figures that was being quoted in the media, as he said "no one is certain about the number for now".
He explained that the abduction, following a thorough investigation by his office in Maiduguri, actually took place on the 14th, 15th and 16th of June this year and not last Saturday as reported in the media.
"I understand that our office has been able to dig into the alleged abduction of 60 women and girls; and it was discovered that it actually took place in Kummabza, Yaga and Dagu villages of Damboa local government on the 14th, 15th and 16 of June. Even the Bulama of the area was able to escape to Maiduguri and he too confirmed the date, but was not sure of the figure yet", said the source.
"You know some of these attacks, because they are now rampant and because it affects remote or isolated villages, they hardly get us on time.
The source added that the abducted persons were forcibly carted away during raids of those areas by the Boko Haram gunmen.