Leadership (Abuja)

29 June 2014

Nigeria: 52 Killed in Kaduna, Bauchi, Taraba Attacks

Photo: Premium Times
Boko Haram attacks (file photo).

Unknown gunmen continued to kill with bombs and rifles yesterday in Kaduna, Bauchi and Taraba. At least 52 people were killed, scores injured and properties running into millions of naira destroyed.

In Sanga LGA of Kaduna State, 32 people were killed by gunmen suspected to be Fulani militia in the late hours of Friday. The gunmen carried out the attack on Amber community despite the 24-hour curfew imposed on the local government area following last week's killing of about 227 people.

The local government chairman, Emmanuel Adamu, who confirmed the fresh killings to LEADERSHIP Sunday, wondered how the attack was successfully executed without the knowledge of the soldiers and the police drafted to restore normalcy.

The national president of Ninzom Progressive Youths, Mr Bezard Wuyah, whose communities were attacked, told our correspondent the attack on Amber village was carried out on Friday afternoon.

Mr Wuyah, who spoke to our correspondent from some of the affected villages on phone, said: "Right now, we have been touring some of the villages affected. Last night (Friday), Amber, a village of about 5,000 people, was ransacked. We lost 22 people, and I am told that there are more corpses in the bushes.

"In Paa, a village close to Gwantu, the town was attacked from 10 this morning (Saturday) till this afternoon. Ten people were killed. The town is also burnt down. The villages are now empty. I am now in Gwantu, with Kaduna State commissioner of water resources Mr Audu Dogo. He can testify to what I am saying."

The chairman, Sanga LGA, Mr Emmanuel Adamu, said the gunmen were carrying out what he described as "guerilla killings" on his people

Over 110 bodies were given mass burial last week Thursday after many other families took away the corpses of their loves ones for burial.

LEADERSHIP SUNDAY gathered that all Ninzom villages, including Gwantu, the LGA, headquarters of Sanga, were deserted as people ran to police stations, primary and secondary schools in nearby towns and into neighbouring states.

The executive secretary of the Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency, SEMA, Nuhu Dogo, who is in Sanga lamented that the tense situation in the area was making distribution of relief materials to about 50,000 displaced persons almost impossible.

Mr Dogo said: "We are now in the Gwantu police station, because they are now attacking one village called Tarri. We are with the police DPO. And he is mobilizing his people to go there.

"The problem is that when there is an attack here, and the security men go, there will be another one somewhere. There is lack of enough personnel. But there is an attack on Tarri going on now," he said.

Bomb blast in Bauchi kills 10, injures 14

A bomb blast occurred on Friday night in the Bayan Gari area of Bauchi, killing 10 people and injuring 14 others.

The explosion occurred about 10pm in the area housing brothels and its impact was felt in all parts of Bauchi town.

Both the dead and the injured were taken to the Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University Teaching Hospital, Bauchi.

Minutes after the explosion occurred, security agents cordoned off the area to prevent people from getting access to the site of the explosion.

At ATBUTH, medical personnel were seen treating the injured. When contacted for further details, the hospital's management neither declined comments on the incident nor gave details about casualties.

The police in Bauchi confirmed the incident. Haruna Mohammed, DSP, police public relations officer (PPRO), told LEADERSHIP Sunday that residents of the affected brothels had in the past been advised by the police to vacate the hotels as such areas were prime spots for terror attacks but that those residing there refused to comply with the police directive.

When LEADERSHIP Sunday further details, the police spokesman responded: "On the 27/6/2014 at about 21:50 hours, there was an explosion at People's Brothel at Bayan Gari area of Bauchi where 10 persons were confirmed dead while 14 others sustained various degrees of injuries and were rushed to ATBU Teaching Hospital, Bauchi, for treatment."

10 killed in Taraba attack - Police

The Taraba State police command yesterday in Jalingo said unknown gunmen attacked some people coming from Garba Chade to Maihula village in Gassol local government area of the state and killed 10 people.

ASP Joseph Kwaji, the police public relations officer (PPRO), Taraba police command, who confirmed the incident while speaking to LEADERSHIP Sunday on phone, that the police also recovered three empty shells and some cartridges of double-barrel gun.

Kwaji, noted that a detachment of the police and army had been drafted to the area, adding that investigation into the incident was ongoing.

Sam Mbata, a resident of Garba Chade who also confirmed the attack to our correspondent, said the unknown gunmen stormed the village about 6pm, attacked and killed 10 persons who were coming from Garba Chade to Maihula village.

The PPRO called on the general public to always report any suspected person to the nearest police station in the state.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2014 Leadership. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.