Tanzania Daily News (Dar es Salaam)

4 July 2014

Tanzania: Kagera Region Registers Economic Boom

Bukoba — KAGERA Region recorded an impressive economic performance that enabled the region to step forward from the 19th position among 21 regions during 2002 to the eleventh during 2012, the Kagera Regional Commissioner, Mr Fabian Massawe, has disclosed.

He noted that per capita income for Kagera residents also increased from 559,070/- during 2011 to 716,209/- during 2012, implying a 28.1 per cent performance.

He attributed the performance to commitment by the people, which enabled them to construct 181 secondary schools in all Wards in Muleba, Bukoba, Ngara, Biharamulo, Kyerwa, Karagwe and Misenyi districts.

Mr Massawe appealed to the residents to ensure that they complete construction of 457 science laboratories before the end of October, this year.

According to Mr Massawe, the needed number of science laboratories stood at 519 while those already completed were only 62 implying 11.95 per cent while the remaining 457 laboratories, equivalent to 88.05 per cent, were at various stages of construction.

Massawe was irked by a report by Missenyi District officials showing that only five out of the expected 22 laboratories had been completed.

He was also shocked by a report by officials in Missenyi District who informed him that they had planned to complete construction of science laboratories in 2018 instead of 2015.

During his recent tour in Kagera Region, President Jakaya Kikwete directed District Councils and Municipalities to ensure that each secondary school has three laboratories, extending the deadline to 2015.

Mr Massawe directed officials in all seven districts of Bukoba, Muleba, Biharamulo, Ngara, Kyerwa, Karagwe and Missenyi to ensure that the directive is implemented accordingly, adding that those who would fail to sensitise Wananchi to participate in the exercise would face the music.

He further revealed that Malaria prevalence in Kagera Region dropped from 41.1 per cent during 2007 to 10.0 per cent last year. According to the 2008/09 Tanzania HIV/AIDS and Malaria Indicator Survey (THMIS), Kagera Region had a Malaria prevalence of between 42-45 per cent.

Lindi Region had 35 per cent, Mtwara Region had 34 per cent, Mwanza Region had 31 per cent while Mara Region had 30 per cent. He said a total of 921,206 Insecticide Treated Nets (ITN's) were distributed to 490,600 households in an effort to control Malaria, which is the leading killer disease.

A total of 557,470 Insecticide Treated Nets (ITN's) were also distributed to children aged below five years. The success was due to concerted effort by all stakeholders, including medical experts and the wananchi. "We thank God that the situation is now under control," he said.

The efforts include Indoor Residual Spraying (IRS), use of Insecticide Treated Nets (ITN's) and provision of measles vaccinations and polio jabs to infants.

According to Mr Massawe, the number of dispensaries increased from 206 during 2005 to 239 by 2010. Health Centres increased from 21 in 2005 to 28 in 2010 while the number of hospitals also increased from 13 in 2005 to 15 by 2010.

"The government is keen on ensuring that more lives were saved through improved health delivery and construction of health facilities including dispensaries in rural areas where most Tanzanians live," he said.

Ads by Google

Copyright © 2014 Tanzania Daily News. All rights reserved. Distributed by AllAfrica Global Media (allAfrica.com). To contact the copyright holder directly for corrections — or for permission to republish or make other authorized use of this material, click here.

AllAfrica publishes around 2,000 reports a day from more than 130 news organizations and over 200 other institutions and individuals, representing a diversity of positions on every topic. We publish news and views ranging from vigorous opponents of governments to government publications and spokespersons. Publishers named above each report are responsible for their own content, which AllAfrica does not have the legal right to edit or correct.

Articles and commentaries that identify allAfrica.com as the publisher are produced or commissioned by AllAfrica. To address comments or complaints, please Contact us.